The first Clergyman appointed to the Parish of Braidwood was Revd James Allan (later Canon Allan) who's
ministry spanned from 1843-1870.
It was during Canon Allan's ministry that the first church of St Andrew was built near the old
Rectory (1842) now a private residence.
Foundations for the new Church were laid on 5th March 1850 by Bishop Broughton. Bishop Baker consecrated
the Church on 9th November 1856. It was noted that it was so long being built that it had already become too small due to
the increased population.
In 1880 a committee took measurers necessary for the erection of a new Church (the present St Andrews).
From 1852-1879 during the Gold Rush Araluen was a seperate Parish, Majors Creek being attached
to Araluen at that time. The Parish was reattached to Braidwood in 1880.